- Former student at Lower Dauphin High School, Hummelstown, PA
- Con to the question "Should Students Have to Wear School Uniforms?"
“While uniforms do assuage the best-clothes competition, they create a new and more painful contest: the best-body competition. When every student is wearing the same uniform, everyone fills it out differently.
They can expect to be ridiculed for not looking as fantastic in their uniforms as some of the better-looking students. And this could be catastrophic for anyone with a less-than-perfect image of themselves… There’s also the problem of students’ squelched individuality.
Schools spend so much time trying to keep their students under control that they end up squashing the sparks that some of those kids were born with…
Uniforms jeopardize the ability of America’s youth to express themselves, to become the people that they want to be.
[T]he way that students dress should be their own choice, not their teachers.”
“The Case against High School Uniforms,” pennlive.com, May 31, 2009
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Director of Marketing and Communications, Say It With A Condom, Aug. 2013-present
- Student Life Editor, Onward State (Pennsylvania State University blog), Mar. 2012-present
- Public Relations Director, State of State (Pennsylvania State University community organization), Aug. 2013-present
- Freelance blogger, SparkNotes.com, Aug. 2013-present
- Work Study Student, Pennsylvania State University, Sep. 2011-present
- Administrative Assistant to Morale Committee, Penn State IFC/Panhellenic Dance Marathon, Sep. 2007-present
- National Career Editor, Her Campus, Jan. 2013-Jan. 2014
- Member Engagement/UX Intern, Do Something, June 2013-Aug. 2013
- National Contributing Writer, Her Campus, Mar. 2012-Aug. 2013
- Spring Editorial Intern, Her Campus, Jan. 2013-May 2013
- Concierge, The Hotel Hershey, Apr. 2012, Aug. 2012
- Feature Writer, MODE magazine, Mar. 2011-Oct. 2011
- Opinion Intern, Patriot-News, May 2010-Aug. 2010
- Recipient, Scholastic Writing Awards Gold Key, 2007
- BA candidate, Journalism and Spanish, Pennsylvania State University (expected graduation year 2015)
- Attended Universidad de Sevilla (Spain), 2014
- Graduated, Lower Dauphin High School (Hummelstown, PA), 2011
- Twitter handle: @aliciarthomas
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Students Have to Wear School Uniforms?