- Former National Party Member of the Australian Senate
- Pro to the question "Should Students Have to Wear School Uniforms?"
“[D]itching school uniforms would not only cost parents more money, and would be a bad idea all around. In fact, school uniforms are as important as student laptops in the education experience…
Interestingly, what most excites children going to school for the first time is usually their uniform. Every five-year-old can appreciate wearing a school uniform is a powerful rite of passage, and an equally powerful statement of belonging.
This is no less true of high school students. Quite frankly, we spend far too much time pandering to a generation for whom individuality is a temper tantrum and a Facebook post short of an overblown sense of entitlement.
We need to spend more time emphasising the value of community, and how communities can only function if everyone gives up some of their own entitlement for the good of others.”
“Why School Uniforms Are as Important as Student Laptops,” theage.com, Jan. 10, 2017
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Blogger, Brisbane Times, 2014-present
- Trustee, Anzac Day Trust, 2014-present
- Trustee, Oxford Papua New Guinea Scholarship Trust, 2014-present
- Partner, Himalaya Consulting, 2008-present
- Special Counsel, 2001-2005
- Captain, Australian Army, 2000-2005
- Member, Australian Senate (National Party – Queensland), 1990-1999
- National Party Whip, Australian Senate, 1993-1999
- Australian Senate Chairman, Immigration and Multicultural Affairs Policy Committee, 1993-1999
- Recipient, Global Leader for Tomorrow Award, World Economic Forum, 1994
- Former National Councilor, Scouts Australia
- Former Investment Banker
- Attended Royal Military College at Duntroon (Australia), 2000
- BA, Jurisprudence, University of Oxford, 1987
- First ethnic-Chinese Australian to become a member of the Parliament of Australia
- Youngest Australian Senate Appointee at age 24
- Represented Australia in the sport of skeleton in the World Cup from 1988 to 2002
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Students Have to Wear School Uniforms?